Planning a Successful Event
Plan for the success of your event!
Administrating a camp can seem like a daunting task. Here are some suggestions that will both outline and help you see the full picture:
- Select several potential dates for your event (we recommend doing this at least a year in advance if you can).
- Contact BCC to inquire about availability and discuss your event.
- Finalize your event dates with BCC with a signed contract and deposit. Reserve all needed guest rooms, meetings rooms, and additional activities such as the pool (seasonal) and gymnasium.
- Create your event budget and decide on a per person price that you will charge attendees.
- Set registration and payment deadlines for your attendees.
- Create registration packets which should include all event details, deadlines, and registration forms.
- Put together an event promotion plan. Use many different methods to promote your event. Here are some ideas:
Social media promotions
- Set up a Facebook event
- Make announcements on Facebook
- Tweet short announcements
- Create and use a hashtag for your event (something short and original)
- Instagram announcements (images and quick videos)
- Email marketing
- Verbal announcements
- Mail promotional and registration materials
- Bulletin/newsletter announcements
- Promote the event on your website
- Create your event schedule. Doing this early will help you to make a list of what staff is needed to facilitate the activities, what supplies are needed, and any special reservations that need to be made with BCC (athletic fields, pool, etc.)
- Recruit all of the staff you will need to run your event.
- Offer fundraising options for your attendees.
- Pay close attention to BCC deadlines and provide attendee counts as requested. You’ll also want to clearly communicate any specific needs and special requests in advance.
- Create a plan for transportation to and from your event (children and youth specific events).
- A few weeks before your event, send out any final communications to your attendees (time to arrive, what to bring, etc.)